TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

5* Book Review of Reboot by Amy Tintera

Summary: '5 years ago, I died. 178 minutes later, I woke up.'

In this post-apocalyptic thriller a deadly virus mutation sees teenagers raised from the dead and trained to be vicious soldiers until Wren, the deadliest Reboot, joins forces with Callum, the most innocent, to try to overthrow the organisation that has corrupted their world.

rebootTitle: Reboot
Series: Reboot #1
Author: Amy Tintera
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Released: June 2013
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction Dystopia
Format: Paperback
Source: Won

HOLY MOLEY! What a fabulous dystopian read. Amy Tintera, you are amazingly talented and have such a skill for world building. I have no idea why I haven’t picked this book up sooner and now with Rebel released, I cannot wait to start that one. Wren is a fascinating character, showing growth and mountains of intrigue about her life as a reboot. She also has insecurities like any average teenager.

KDH (Kill Devil Hills) is the virus that reboots humans. When humans started rebooting it was thought of as a miracle until they realised they didn’t return the same as before. A war broke out when the Reboots were shut out, they were outnumbered by the humans and are now made to be slaves. This has been going on for the past 22 years. Reboots over the age of twenty are killed on the spot. They are uncommon and didn’t behave like the younger ones. Reboots ate less food, didn’t get sick, had a higher pain threshold and were stronger and faster; they make the perfect soldiers. Reboots are fitted with a tracking device and do not leave the facility except for assignments. If they try to escape, Reboots are shot on sight.

Wren 178 is feared by all, she has the least amount of humanity since she is the reboot that was dead the longest before rebooting. This is where the number comes from. The higher the number the more likely they are to follow orders without question.

Ever 56 has been Wren’s roommate for the past four years, since they were thirteen. Wren was uncomfortable rooming with Ever because of her sadness at night, but the girls have a comradery and a routine with each other.

Newbies arrive every six weeks and the whole reboot population become excited about having fresh meat to add to the dating pool. This also meant that Wren would receive a new trainee. Being the highest number does come with some perks, she is the first to choose her trainee.

There is an unsaid rule during meals that each group sticks together, Wren sits at the table for 120’s and above. Fourteen newbies arrived and the kids at the 90’s table always welcomed them with a little roughhousing, but when Wren headed for the exit a newbie came sliding across the floor to land at her feet. They were all calling him 22, but surely that’s now right. There hasn’t been a number that low for a very long time.

Callum Reyes 22 grabs Wren’s arm and everyone gasps. Nobody touches Wren, they don’t like even going near her let alone touching her. Everyone is staring at Wren dumbfounded that this teenage boy is sitting and talking to her. It’s so rare that she talks to anyone let alone a low number.

One night Wren is awoken to a growling coming from Ever. It was like she was lost inside herself and was ready to attack anything that moved. Wren was told to subdue Ever so the scientists could put her back to sleep. What is going on?

Wren and Callum go on their first assignment and he comes back a different lad. He cannot believe what Wren is willing to do to capture the criminal. Wren goes on a secret project for Officer Mayer and she hears rumours of a Rebel group and a Reboot reservation. Can it be true?

What is happening to Ever (and the under 60’s)? Will Wren discover she has a tiny bit of humanity after all? Can Callum become a Reboot soldier like Wren? Will Wren and Callum become a couple? What about the rumours of the Rebel group and the reservation? Are they true?

There are so many elements in this book to create such a fantastic and complicated world. Ms Tintera is simply remarkable, Wren and Callum go on an adventure together of both self-discovery and to find the truth. Wren shows she has loyalty to her fellow Reboots even though she doesn’t have any real emotions. I highly recommend this book to all young adult readers, it has something for everyone.
5 PAPER HEARTS

5 PAPER HEARTS
goodreads

hearts

THE SERIES:

rebel
12f31-hearts

About the Author

Hi! I’m Amy Tintera, and I write novels for young adults. I grew up in Austin, Texas and graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in journalism. After receiving a masters in film at Emerson College I moved to Los Angeles, where I promptly discovered I didn’t enjoy working in the film industry, and went back to my first love, writing.

REBOOT and REBEL are published by HarperCollins/HarperTeen. Film rights have been optioned by Fox, and the books have sold in ten countries. I am represented by Emmanuelle Morgen at Stonesong.

~ Courtesy of Amy Tintera's website