TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

5* Book Review of This Much is True by Katherine Owen

Summary: Both on the verge of fame. A ballerina who lies. A baseball player who believes her. Well, the truth changes everything.

Tally Landon is just trying to survive the death of her twin sister, graduate from high school, and escape her tragic story by pursuing her ballet career in New York. She doesn't count on Lincoln Presley, Stanford's baseball wonder, to affect her at all. Adding him to a long list of one-night stands is the plan. Lying to him about her age and name is her standard method of operandi. She doesn't count on being found out, on seeing him again, or falling in love.

Lincoln Presley's life is all mapped out for him. There is only baseball. With Major League Baseball circling their favorite prospect with a lucrative offer, he cannot afford to mess up. And, he doesn't; until he meets up with the girl he saved in that burning wreckage on the 101 on Valentine's Day months before. By the time he learns her real name and of all the lies she's told, he's in far too deep to ever really let her go.

Fate has a different set of plans, but when fame and lies tear them apart, one truth remains.

Author's Note: A coming of age story? Could be. A powerful love story? Most definitely. An unforgettable read? Most likely. Intended for mature audiences in age 17+? Absolutely.

This Much is TrueTitle: This Much is True
Series: Truth in Lies #1
Author: Katherine Owen
Publisher: The Writing Works Group
Released: 11th August 2013
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: Kindle
Source: Gifted from Katherine Owen for an honest review - thank you

This is my first encounter with a Katherine Owen novel and dear oh dear what a book. The beginning, whew, pulled me in straight off and with the tragedy in the first chapter, of course I couldn’t put it down. Ms Owen has created a wonderful world with a ballerina and a baseball player on the threshold of fame; how unusual is that? I loved the dual point of view, getting inside both characters was interesting, showing the different aspects and responsibilities of each career choice. This book also shows how our choices in life can affect others and that secrets will NOT stay hidden forever.

Talia Landon (Tally) is a seventeen year old that has a twin sister, Holly. They are inseparable, the best of friends, but now Holly has a boyfriend (Rob Thorn) and she is starting to do her own thing. This day, Tally drives Holly to see Rob on Valentine’s Day. They had a fight and Holly wanted to reconcile on this romantic day. Tally can’t stay mad at Holly for long, everybody loves her and she is the good girl. Of course she would take her.

Its pouring rain, Tally is trying to concentrate on driving. When she looks over at Holly, Tally notices a black SUV driving by and when it overtakes her, the SUV clips the front of Tally’s car. BANG!! CRASH!! Run Tally, GO!

Tally has massive pain in her chest, she sees Holly, her sister, she’s an angel. Tally drags herself out of her car trying to get away when she realises there is a fire, finally outside the car, a pair of strong arms picks her up and starts running away from the car. These grey-blue eyes look sad at her and Tally hears the explosion. The car goes up in flames and now all she can hear is Holly screaming. The stranger realises her sister was in the car, “There is no God, Elvis!” Then Tally blacks out.

Sixty-four days later and Tally is home. She still has a cast on her wrist and her three broken ribs are aching. Trying to get back to her normal routine, Tally straps up her ribs and heads to ballet practice. Her instructor has zero tolerance for absenteeism no matter the circumstances. If Tally is serious about becoming a ballerina, it’s a seven days per week training schedule. Now all Tally has is ballet, it’s her only focus.

Charlie Masterson and Lincoln Presley are cousins and best mates. Lincoln also has a tragic past and his sole purpose in life is baseball and getting into the major leagues. His Father was a famous baseball player also and all the pressure that is put on Linc weighs heavily on his shoulders. While in town, Linc stays at Charlie’s parent’s place in their guest house. The parents are out and Charlie is throwing a party. Linc’s keeping to the shadows, all the girls flock to him because he’s on the verge of fame, but it gets old quickly.

Tally was determined to be the good girl for her family now that Holly is gone. But when Marla Stone asks her for a last hoorah of letting loose and going to a party, Tally knows a distraction would be good right now. Marla has been best friends with both Holly and Tally forever, she is the only one that knows Tally truly.

Linc notices his Valentine’s girl over the other side of the room. He is drawn to her like a bee to honey. Linc just wants to know her name and when he approaches, they have an instant connection. She tells him her name is Holly that she’s twenty and they dance, they talk and then head to the guest house. Tally wants the quick in and out, but Linc has other ideas.

This was their first official meeting and the start of the destiny to be together, not that they know that at the time. They each have their own focus and will sacrifice anything and everything to achieve their goals.

Tally heads off to New York for ballet and Linc is off to Los Angeles. With such a strong connection, their thoughts are always on the other, but with a broken heart they still remain focussed on their career.

Will Tally be able to move on from her broken heart by Linc? Will she finally get into the professional world of ballet and at what cost? Will Linc make it into the major leagues? What does their destiny have in store for them?

This book is quite long and such an emotional roller-coaster. The ups, downs and turn arounds, and an amazing story that had me frustrated with Tally AND Linc for all their lies. So many lies. I was crying and laughing and growling at Tally. The surprises along the way stunned me. This is a definite read for every new adult reader that’s after something a little different than normal sappy romances.
5 PAPER HEARTS

5 PAPER HEARTS

12f31-hearts

Favourite quote

Life can change in as little as fifteen seconds. I know this.

Fifteen seconds.
An SUV clips my car, kills my sister, and changed me and my life forever.

Thirty seconds.
The time it takes for a stranger to lift me up and carry me away and save me from the burning wreckage.
Thank you, Elvis.

One night.
The time is takes to fall in love with Lincoln Presley and forge promises that neither one of us can keep.
One night.

Thirty seconds.
The time it takes for him to tell me he loves me in one breathe and then in the next says that he can't be with me in just the way he says my name.
Thirty seconds.
In thirty seconds, a heart can break.
Right, Elvis?

Sixty seconds.
The time it takes to read the offer letter for the apprenticeship at one of the most prestigious ballet companies in the world - New York City Ballet. Only mirrored by the same amound of time it takes me to sign the offer of a lifetime.

Four weeks.
I'm allowed four weeks of almost pure bliss at NYC Ballet, where I finally feel that everything is actually right with the world.
Four weeks.

Miraculously, I seem to be in a better place. I've overcome the grief of losing Holly and the heartbreak over losing Lincoln Presley.

I am here. I have arrived.

(Chapter 18; 40%; page 165; location 3445 of my Kindle)

hearts

THE SERIES:

TruthAirWaterCover
12f31-hearts

About the Author

KatherineKatherine Owen writes contemporary edgy fiction, which translates to: she writes love stories that are contemporary in setting and both edgy and dark. Some readers term her books emotional roller coasters. With her writing, Owen admits she has a fondness for angst, likes to play with a little drama, and essentially toys around with the unintentional complications of love. She contends this began early on when she won a poetry contest at the age of fourteen and appears to be without end. Owen has an avid love of coffee, books, and writing, but not necessarily in that order. She writes both Contemporary Romance and New Adult fiction which includes her bestselling TRUTH IN LIES Series (a series despite despising 'series') beginning with This Much Is True and her latest release, The Truth About Air & Water. The TRUTH IN LIES series is fan-driven. So. There will be a third book about Linc and Tally released in 2015 titled Tell Me Something True.

About Owen's fiction...This is NOT the light trope stuff. She travels a unique, writerly path and enjoys writing dark and angsty (a "non-word" she is fond of) emotional love stories. She often warns readers to be prepared with: time, tissues, wine, Advil or your drug of choice. And, as her most favored character, Lincoln Presley, would say, "do what you must, Princess."

WebsiteGoodreadsFacebookTwitterPinterest