TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

4* Book Review of Gooseberry Island by Steven Manchester

Gooseberry Island - Steven Manchester

gooseberry island banner
Steven Manchester's latest novel, Gooseberry Island has just been released. If you are a fan of military romances, this is a definite purchase for you.

Summary: They met at the worst possible moment...or maybe it was just in time. David McClain was about to go to war and Lindsey Wood was there at his going-away party, capturing his heart when falling for a woman was the last thing on his mind. While David was serving his country, he stayed in close contact with Lindsey. But war changes a person, and when he came home very little had the same meaning that it had before – including the romance that had sustained him. Was love truly unconquerable, or would it prove to be just another battlefield casualty?

Gooseberry Island is the most nuanced, dramatic, and romantic novel yet from a writer whose ability to plumb the depths of human emotion knows few peers.

gooseberry islandTitle: Gooseberry Island
Series: Standalone
Author: Steven Manchester
Publisher: The Story Plant
Released: 6th January 2015
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eBook
Source: Supplied by Author for an honest review - Thank you!

This is my third Steven Manchester emotional experience and I must say that if you love emotion and values and intense situations, you must pick up a book from Mr Manchester. Each book has been extremely different and Gooseberry Island had distressing in scenes and something that everybody should read in order to learn more about how our soldiers hurt not just in the field of battle, but the suffering that continues on their return to us. My father is a veteran and Gooseberry Island gave me an understanding that I never realised I needed. The ordeals my father went through with Veteran’s Affairs was a long battle and fortunately in the end he won. But still today, my Dad has not fully returned, parts of his mind and soul are still over in Vietnam somewhere, lost.

David McClain has been dating Allison for two weeks and they've been on four dates now. He wants to get to know her deeply before departing for Afghanistan, but Allison is only interested in fun. When he spoke with an old sea-captain, the old guy gave him some great advice. He needs to stop looking for a woman, he has to make his own luck and to make a wish thanking the universe in advance while voicing it out to sea. David thought this was strange, but Captain Eli has never steered him wrong before.

“Thank you for bringing me the girl of my dreams.”

Funnily enough while jogging a few minutes more, Lindsey Woods was walking along the same beach. There was a connection that felt as old as time and the pair couldn’t stop looking into each other’s eyes.

Now Lindsey isn’t an innocent in the field of returned servicemen. Her father was an Infantryman in the Gulf War and when he returned, he wasn’t the same man. Lindsey had to live and support her father ever since and it hasn’t been easy.

When David told Lindsey he was being deployed the next day, she was surprised, disappointed with their bad timing, but knew she had to keep in touch with David and await his return. They shared a magical night on the beach the night before he left and promised to write during the 12 months he will be gone.

David trained with the Army to become an Airborne Ranger; this was his first tour of duty, excited and eager to get to work were his first feelings when arriving. They soon turned to sleepless nights, nightmares and heartache. David and Lindsey kept in contact, but soon David started to pull away when the darkness invaded.

When David returns home, it isn’t as exciting as he thought it would be. He’s still suffering from his experience and has withdrawn from everyone including Lindsey. Lindsey tried with all her might to bring David into the light, but David is too lost and broken.

Can the two soul mates overcome David’s trauma and live happily ever after? Will David seek help before it’s too late? Can he let go of some of his guilt in order to heal? What are David’s plans if he leaves the Rangers?

Follow David through his life’s journey of self-discovery, during his deployment and what happens upon his return. Gooseberry Island allows its readers the insight into the lives of returned servicemen and the rigmarole they have to face every day. This is another terrific read by Mr Manchester.
FOUR  HEARTS goodreads

12f31-hearts

You can check out the reviews for Goodnight, Brian HERE and The Rockin' Chair HERE.

12f31-hearts

About the Author

steven manchesterAfter returning home from a difficult tour of duty in Operation Desert Storm in 1991, I stepped back behind the walls of a Massachusetts penitentiary where I battled each day as a prison investigator. Needless to say, there was great negativity in my life at that time, and very little opportunity to heal from my wartime demons (or pursue my dreams of being published). I finally decided to return to college to finish my degree in Criminal Justice. During one of the classes, my professor, Barry McKee, detailed police work, but barely touched on other topics. I finally raised his hand and asked, “As the criminal justice system is so vast, what about the courts, probation, parole – corrections?” Barry smiled and told me to see him after class. I thought I’d done it! In his office, Barry explained, “Except from the slanted perspectives of inmates, there’s no real written material out there on corrections, or prisons.” Barry smiled again and then dropped the bomb that would change my life forever. “If you’re so smart,” he said, “why don’t you write it?” It was the last push I needed to get writing. Nine months later, I placed the first draft of 6-5; A Different Shade of Blue (under the pen name, Steven Herberts) on Barry’s desk. From then on, I was hooked. I was a writer.

Under the pen name, Steven Herberts, I wrote in newspapers, magazines, and even penned two collections of poetry. Once I’d found my true voice, I began, The Unexpected Storm: The Gulf War Legacy; an emotional account of the Gulf War that would heal my soul, and the souls of other suffering veterans.

Today, 20 years later, I have been blessed with a beautiful family; my wife, Paula, and our four children–Evan, Jacob, Bella and Carissa. From a professional perspective, I’ve written 16 books (with 12 in publication), and have contributed to more than three dozen international anthologies. My work has been showcased in such national literary journals as Taproot Literary Review, American Poetry Review and Fresh! Literary Magazine, as well as various magazines to include Angels on Earth, Obadiah, Titan, G.F.O. (U.K.), Skyline Literary, Alive Now, Dark Animus (Australia) and Spinnings Short Stories. Hundreds of my essays, poetry and short fiction have been contributed to Internet publications such as Zine5, New Mystery Reader, Wilmington Blues, Heartwarmers, The Murder Hole, Father’s World, and dozens of others.

My work has appeared on NBC’s Today Show, CBS’s The Early Show, CNN’s American Morning, BET’s Nightly News, Good Day Atlanta; in the New York Daily News, Newark Star Ledger, Boston Globe, Detroit Free Press, Providence Journal, Dallas Morning News, Orlando Sentinel, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, The Daily Oklahoman; and on 50+ nationally-syndicated radio shows from coast-to-coast.

As a public speaker, I’ve presented before thousands. From Congressmen to schoolchildren, my lectures cover the realities of the Gulf War, adult incarceration, and the motivation needed to write and become published. I currently teach the workshops, Publish: See Your Work In Print, and Writing Fiction That Sells.

When not spending time with my kids and wife, I’m either writing, teaching, or promoting my published books/films.

~ courtesy of Steven's website