TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

5* Book Review of Sustained by Emma Chase

Sustained (The Legal Briefs Series) - Emma Chase
Summary: A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.

Title: Sustained
Series: The Legal Briefs #2
Author: Emma Chase
Publisher: Gallery Books
Released: 25th August 2015
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eGalley
Source: via Publicist, Carolyn at Sullivan and Partners - thank you

I had seen Emma Chase’s name around the www and when the opportunity became available to grab Sustained, I couldn’t resist. Ms Chase has now become a favourite, I absolutely loved Sustained and also listened to the audiobook of Overruled. And again it was fabulous too. I haven’t read a book surrounding lawyers previously and was extremely happy when I didn’t find a whole lot of legal jargon that would have just confused me. The characters were fabulous and who wouldn’t fall in love with Jake Becker.

Jake Becker is a thirty year old defence attorney that rebuffs relationships. If his hook-up leaves without a hitch the morning after, he may meet up with her again, otherwise it’s only once. The problem is, when he meets Chelsea McQuaid, thoughts of other women go straight out the window and Jake finds himself becoming attached very quickly to her and her 8 nieces and nephews.

Jake is known for his stature in the courtroom, never being intimidated by anyone. He was a bad boy who was turned into the lawyer he is today, by hard work and determination from one the most respected Judges in the business.

After having the longest two weeks of his life, he is introduced to a nine year old with a chip on his shoulder. When he takes Rory home, he’s astounded to discover a beautiful woman looking after a menagerie of children by herself.

Chelsea McQuaid is superwoman, through tragedy she became the guardian of her nieces and nephews ranging in age from infant to fourteen. At twenty six, she put her life on hold to become the person the children needed.

Jake cannot get the superwoman out of his head. Her strength, determination and patience is innumerable. He seems to jump when she asks and falls deeper without realising it. Not having had a relationship before, Jake’s worried he’s not good enough and she deserves someone better.

Will Jake allow himself to fully love Chelsea and the kids? Can he allow his career path to follow a different direction that is right?

Jake has a soft heart if only he would recognize it and his caring nature is extremely admirable. He is such a great character and surrounded by wonderful friends. The ending was fabulous and shows that no matter what, you can change for the better at any time in your life. I cannot wait to read Brent’s story next in Appealed, due for release 17th November 2015. I highly recommend this book to all romance readers. It’s just amazing! 5 PAPER HEARTS

goodreads

hearts

THE SERIES:

overruled
12f31-hearts

About the Author

authoremmachaseBy day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother who resides in a small town in New Jersey. By night she is a keyboard crusader, toiling away the hours to bring her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine.

Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true.

WebsiteGoodreadsFacebookTwitterInstagram