TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

Book Review of Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Dare You To - Katie McGarry
Goodreads Summary: Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."
"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....
"I dare you..."
If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....
Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.
But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

Title: Dare You To

Series: Pushing the Limits #2

Author: Katie McGarry

Publisher: Mira Ink (and Harlequin Teen Australia)

Released: 7th June 2013

Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance

Format: eGalley and eBook

Source: via Publisher on NetGalley and purchased iBooks

Well, what another fabulous instalment in the Pushing the Limits series. Dare You To does not disappoint with Beth’s story and I certainly cannot wait to read Isaiah’s book, Crash Into You. Ms McGarry’s writing style is wonderful and each book intriguing, I just had to find out what really was in Beth’s bedroom at her Mother’s apartment. The book strings you along until you find out all of the secrets behind Beth’s behaviour. Beth is extremely complicated with her past and present clashing together, but with the addition of Ryan, she can move past it all and bring down her walls.

Beth hasn’t had an easy life from the very beginning. Having to take responsibility for her Mother isn’t what a normal teenager should have to do. Having that responsibility is only causing everybody harm including Beth. Beth lives with her Aunt and hangs out with Noah and Isaiah, they are like her family only not related by blood. Noah now has Echo and Beth is kind of jealous about their relationship, seeing them have googly eyes for each other was sickening.

Ryan is the star of the high school baseball team. The leader, the confident and perfect Jock that all the girls want. The hottie that appears to have the perfect life and the perfect family. But appearances are not always as they seem. Ryan and his mates are big on daring each other to do silly things. The current dare is to get a girls phone number and the other guy picks out. Chris always wins and even though he has a serious girlfriend they are just dares. Visiting Louisville for lunch Chris picks out a girl for Ryan. Beth walks in, standing at the counter to be served, this is Ryan’s girl and he has to get her number and her name. Gee this will be a challenge all right.

Beth looks hot, but with black hair, tight top and jeans with a tear near her bum, she looks anything but friendly. Ryan never loses and accepts the dare, sidling up to Beth he starts talking and she doesn’t even give him the time of day. Not disheartened, Ryan keeps trying but fails. The only thing he gets is to buy her lunch and a name.

Ryan’s parents have been supporting him with his baseball career and hope he makes it into the pros. But who’s dream is it really, Ryan’s or his Father’s? Where has his brother, Mark really gone and why? Will Ryan decide he really loves writing as much as baseball and head to college?

Beth gets herself arrested to save her Mother. The only way she will be let out, is if her Uncle Scott takes full custody. With that comes moving to her childhood hometown of Groveton and leaving Noah and Isaiah. Beth hates it, doesn’t want to dredge up old memories and doesn’t want to make friends. Beth is doing everything she can to get back to Louisville. Back to her Mother and Isaiah.

Ryan finds Beth is going to his school and now living in his town. Not only that, she is the niece of the local sporting hero and ex-pro baseball player. Pushing Ryan and Beth together to help her settle into town and school, Ryan finds he actually doesn’t mind this strong willed, attractive and broken girl. Beth doesn’t believe anybody like Ryan could want her, let alone love her with so much baggage.

Can Ryan and Beth overcome the past to make a future? Will Beth let down her walls, release the chains to feel what real love trust is? What will happen to Beth’s Mother, will she survive her abusive boyfriend? Will Beth actually run away and keep running?

This is another emotionally charged and complicated addition to Pushing the Limits. Ms McGarry certainly knows how to keep the reader captivated and wanting more of her characters. I would really love to hear the story of Lacy and Chris. I will be starting Crashing Into You very shortly because I can’t get Isaiah’s sadness and heartache out of my head. This is a series not to be missed.

4 GREAT COMPLICATED ROMANCE BOOKS

c653a-addtogoodreads Hearts

About the Author

KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan. Katie would love to hear from her readers.

~ Website ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~