TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

Book Review of King Hall by Scarlett Dawn

King Hall - Scarlett Dawn
Goodreads Summary:A fresh, meaty, sink-your-teeth-in-and-hold-on-tight new adult fantasy series kicks off with King Hall

King Hall — where the Mysticals go to learn their craft, get their degrees, and transition into adulthood. And where four new Rulers will rise and meet their destinies.

Lily Ruckler is adept at one thing:  survival.  Born a Mystical hybrid, her mere existence is forbidden, but her nightmare is only about to start. Fluke, happenstance, and a deep personal loss finds Lily deeply entrenched with those who would destroy her simply for existing — The Mystical Kings.  Being named future Queen of the Shifters shoves Lily into the spotlight, making her one of the most visible Mysticals in the world. But with risk comes a certain solace — her burgeoning friendships with the other three Prodigies: a wicked Vampire, a wild-child Mage, and a playboy Elemental. Backed by their faith and trust, Lily begins to relax into her new life.

Then chaos erupts as the fragile peace between Commoners and Mysticals is broken, and suddenly Lily realises the greatest threat was never from within, and her fear takes on a new name: the revolution.

Title: King Hall

Series: Forever Evermore #1

Author: Scarlett Dawn

Publisher: Escape Publishing

Released: 1st August 2013

Genre: New Adult Paranormal Fantasy Romance

Format: eGalley

Source: via Publisher on NetGalley - thank you

OH MY GOODNESS!! As my children would say. I absolutely loved this book, every single aspect. Scarlett Dawn has been added to my favourite author list and auto-buy list. I am champing at the bit for King Cave and January cannot come quick enough. The writing style was easy reading and uncomplicated; the characters have a lot of depth and work so well together. King Hall was intriguing and kept me on the edge of my seat. There are so many different levels to this book that I was always surprised when the path would change. I love Lily, she is such a fun character and is my favourite.

Lily Ruckler is a 19 year old Shifter classified Mys (Mystical). She is mated to Dominic and he is the Prodigy of the Shifter King, King Kincaid and his son. A mate is a life partner the same as a marriage is to Coms (Commoners) and they met and mated over the summer. Now attending King Hall with Dominic, the Prodigies have been announced and being the mate of one gives Lily access to meet and socialise with the others.

Each Mys faction (Shifters, Elementals, Mages and Vampires) cannot intermingle or mate outside their type. If a hybrid of two races is born, it will be immediately terminated. So this is one of the problems that Lily has to face; she has kept this secret for 19 years and does not know who her biological father is. Lily is a hybrid, part vampire and part shifter, but her stronger power is shifter.

The Prodigies are in training and will become the future Kings and Queens of their people. Pearl is a Mage, Jack an elemental, Ezra the vampire and of course Dominic the shifter. Lily is known for being late and the first day of physical training gets her the last to be paired and with the most terrifying opponent, Ezra. Ezra is huge even for a vampire, muscles and height that tower over Lily. Lily is tiny for a shifter and quite unique really, everybody assumes she is a Com. Lily has a hard time learning from Ezra as he is so strong and fast.

One night the Prodigies were headed to a party and grooving together. Lily found herself sandwiched between Ezra and Jack while Dominic was enjoying attention from other shifters. Lily decided to head home and giving Ezra and Jack a lift while leaving Dominic to partying. On their way home, Lily started to feel worry and fear through her bond with Dominic and then she started screaming in pain. Dominic was killed and the bond from their mate-ship broken.

Lily is shattered, heartbroken and grieving for Dominic. She can feel so much power in her core; the Law is when a Prodigy mate dies, the powers get transferred to the remaining mate and in turn they become the new Prodigy. So not only is Lily still grieving, but she is now the new Prodigy and has to learn everything associated. The other Prodigies have formed a protective bond with her and they all become the very best of friends. Ezra and Lily become very close and being the only two not mated they end up spending more time together.

There is a band of Coms trying to take out the Prodigies; the Kings are still trying to find Dominic’s killer; plus the stress of Lily being a hybrid and having to perform magical ceremonies that she is uncertain will be successful are just some of the many elements going on in this book that equal the awesomeness.

Will Lily and Ezra really get together or even admit they romantically love each other? Will the baddies be caught and punished? Can Lily be a successful Queen even if she is a hybrid? Will King Hall survive the war that has been unleashed by the Commoners?

I loved this book so much I had to recommend it to my family and they loved it just as much. Amazing, fantastic, awesome, wonderful, incredible, mysterious and intriguing are just some of the words I think of when I think of King Hall. I love the tension between Ezra and Lily; I love the friendship the four create and their strong bond and protectiveness; I just love it all. I really do highly recommend this book to everybody that loves a fantasy romance directed towards new adults with vampires, shifters, magic and fun.

5 FABULOUSLY AWESOME KICKASS BOOKS

c653a-addtogoodreads

Hearts

About the Author

Scarlett Dawn is drawn to all things quirky and off-beat. She believes there are no boundaries for an imaginative soul. Her love of the written word started from at an early age, when her grandmother would take her to bookstores every weekend. Dreams came alive within the books she found there, and now, she is thrilled to share her stories with others who have fallen under the spell of taking fantastical journeys. Scarlett resides in the Midwest with her family.

~ Website ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~