TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

Book Review of The Shadow of Atlantis by Wendy Leighton-Porter

The Shadow of Atlantis Blog Tour Button

Have a look at my review of The Shadow of Atlantis and there is also a giveaway at the bottom.

Shadow of Atlantis by Wendy Leighton-PorterTitle: The Shadow of Atlantis (Shadows From the Past, Book 1)
Author: Wendy Leighton-Porter
Publisher: Mauve Square Publishing
Release Date: 14th October 2012
Recommended Age: 8+
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Format: eBook
Source: via Mother Daughter and Son Book Reviews for the blog tour

Ten-year-old twins Joe and Jemima Lancelot have no idea why their parents have disappeared, but a mysterious old book which had belonged to their father holds the answer… and so begins an unusual quest to discover the truth.

Together with Max, their remarkable Tonkinese cat, and Charlie from next door, the children embark on an epic adventure, travelling back in time to the lost city of Atlantis. Once there, however, they soon run into problems.

Can they save the people of Atlantis from the disaster which is about to destroy their land forever?

And will they find their way back to the safety of their own time before it’s too late?

87649-addtogoodreadsblkslogo

My Review

This is a fabulous fantasy for middle graders. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Shadow of Atlantis, it was a lot of fun and very intriguing. Being the first in the series, it set all the wheels in motion and I would love to read the next to find out what the children and Max get up to. I really love the aspect of the talking cat, it makes everything even more interesting. The writing style was great also.

Jemima and Joe are ten year old twins that have been orphaned and living with their Uncle. Their parents went missing mysteriously and the only thing left behind at the scene of the crime was a book. Uncle Richard would tell stories about the book and this one particular day, they had permission to have a look at the old tome with their neighbour, Charlie. With Max the unusually big, but knowing cat trailing behind, the three children grabbed the antique to check it out.

The book wouldn’t open, it was like the book had been glued shut. On closer inspection there appeared to be a little keyhole in the cover. Jemima recognised the size for the necklace that belonged to her Mother and tried the key in the lock. BINGO! The book opened to a page that was beautifully illustrated and had a word written in jewels. The jewelled word was an anagram, they had to read the riddle and answer the question.

A strange cloud appears in the room, investigating further they discover it is another world, Atlantis. Do they investigate further? Will they be able to return? What will happen back home while in Atlantis? These are all questions that Jemima and Charlie thought, but Joe being the spontaneous twin, was ready to jump in. With a little coaxing, the children plus Max head back in time….

The children are going to try and help the people in Atlantis by telling them of their destruction. Hoping they can at least get some of the people to safety beforehand and allowing them to live happily ever after. Arriving to find some children playing on the beach, they quickly make friends. The hospitality of these people was very heart-warming and the children plus Max were quickly accepted into the household of Varna, the girl they met on the beach.

Will the children be accepted within the community of Atlantis? Will the people believe the destruction is coming and run for safety? Can they return home safely? Will they discover anything more about the twin’s missing parents?

Causing trouble and getting captured, this adventure filled with mystery, fun and excitement will keep you hooked to the pages and wanting more. This fantastic series will certainly be a winner with middle graders, being able to relate to the curiosity and the loyalty of friends. The Shadow of Atlantis is followed by The Shadow of the Minotaur, go ahead and check out the series.

5 ADVENTUROUS AND FUN BOOKS

Great Deal!!

*** You can buy the all 6 books (electronic copies) in the series (The Shadow of Atlantis, The Shadow of the Minotaur, The Shadow of the Trojan Horse, The Shadow of the Pyramid, The Shadow of the Volcano, and The Shadow of Camelot) for only 99 cents each from Amazon between October 14 and 28, 2013. Get hooked on this great series NOW by clicking on the Amazon button below. ***
Amazon Buy Button

About The Author, Wendy Leighton-Porter

Wendy Leighton-Porter, AuthorDividing my time between homes in England and South-West France, I live with my husband Simon and our two beautiful Tonkinese cats. I spent 20 years as a teacher of French, Latin and Classical studies, but now write books for children instead of teaching them.

The Shadow of Atlantis is the first book in a series of 15 planned time-travel stories, featuring 3 children and, unsurprisingly, a rather special Tonkinese cat. Having recently completed number #7, The Shadow of the Norman Arrow (coming soon!), I’m currently working on the eighth book in the series.

As I take my young readers on a magical mystery tour through the past, I’m also hoping that my love of history, myth and legend will rub off on them too. Personally, I’m enjoying the journey so much, I don’t ever want it to end! Why not come along with me for the ride?

WebsiteGoodreads ~ Facebook ~

Check out the rest of the tour for The Shadow of Atlantis (2013) HERE.

The Shadow of Atlantis Blog Tour Giveaway

Amazon $50 Gift Card
Prize: One winner will receive a $50 Amazon gift card or PayPal cash

Contest runs: October 14 to November 5, 11:59 pm, 2013

Open: WW

How to enter: Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below.

Terms and Conditions: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. A winner will be randomly drawn through the Rafflecopter widget and will be contacted by email within 48 hours after the giveaway ends. The winner will then have 72 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond within 72 hours, a new draw will take place for a new winner. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible entries received. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. This giveaway is sponsored by author Paul Hewlett and is hosted and managed by Renee from Mother Daughter Book Reviews. If you have any additional questions - feel free to send and email to Renee(at)MotherDaughterBookReviews(dot)com.

a Rafflecopter giveaway