TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

4* Book Review of Anomaly by Krista McGee

Summary: Thalli has fifteen minutes and twenty-three seconds left to live. The toxic gas that will complete her annihilation is invading her bloodstream. But she is not afraid.

Thalli is different than others in The State. She feels things. She asks questions. And in the State, this is not tolerated. The Ten scientists who survived the nuclear war that destroyed the world above believe that emotion was at the core of what went wrong—and they have genetically removed it from the citizens they have since created. Thalli has kept her malformation secret from those who have monitored her for most of her life, but when she receives an ancient piece of music to record as her community’s assigned musician, she can no longer keep her emotions secreted away.

Seen as a threat to the harmony of her Pod, Thalli is taken to the Scientists for immediate annihilation. But before that can happen, Berk—her former Pod mate who is being groomed as a Scientist—steps in and persuades the Scientists to keep Thalli alive as a test subject.

The more time she spends in the Scientist’s Pod, the clearer it becomes that things are not as simple as she was programmed to believe. She hears stories of a Designer—stories that fill her mind with more questions: Who can she trust? What is this emotion called love? And what if she isn’t just an anomaly, but part of a greater design?

Title: Anomaly
Series: Anomaly #1
Author: Krista McGee
Released: 9th July 2013
Publisher: Thomas Nelson Publishers
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction Dystopia
Format: eGalley
Source: via Publisher on NetGalley - Thank you!

Ok, so I don’t really know where to begin. Anomaly was such a complex and surprising book that I’m astounded. Krista McGee certainly knows how to write a book with surprises and no predictability at all (well, for me at least). Ms McGee’s writing style was great and I was addicted for the most part. My only conflicting reflections would be the Christian aspect; I am not religious and don’t generally read books with it as a strong subject matter, but the overall premise was amazing and very unique.

A nuclear war erupted and the surface was decimated. The government had created an underground community to wait for the surface to be liveable once again. With the surprise attack, the government representatives didn’t make it underground and “The Ten” scientists in charge of the construction, engineering, etc. became law. They created and designed beings and with each generation tried to make them more efficient. Each child was created with a purpose and designed to be as proficient as possible without question of why what or how.

Meet Thalli, she is a third generation designed to be a musician. The brain studies that have been conducted showed that music helps stimulate productivity, so with each generation a musician is a must. Thalli knew from when she was a small child that she was different, an anomaly on the inside, but outside she appeared to be like any other. Although her friends in POD C knew of her anomaly behaviour, they never complained.

At the age of 12, Berk (like her BFF) left their compound to start his mentoring with the scientists. Thalli was heartbroken, not that she could show her emotion. If a child is known as an anomaly they are sent to be annihilated and this is the reason Thalli has been hiding her inquisitiveness.

Now at the age of 17, Thalli has had enough learning and pretending, deciding to escape and explore the grounds outside her compound. Once outside though, everything changes and Thalli is in for the shock of her life. Berk comes to Thalli’s rescue and shows that he still has feelings for her.

Thalli tries to carry on, but when given new music for the piano all of her emotions overload. Thalli is taken to the scientists and studied to determine what went wrong. She is to be annihilated and meets on of the oldest men she has ever seen. John tells Thalli stories of his life pre-war, of his love for his wife and children, but Thalli cannot believe him. What is this emotion called love? Who is the Designer he speaks of?

Berk again tries to rescue Thalli from annihilation and she becomes a test subject. Thalli doesn’t know what reality is or what is simulated and doesn’t know who to trust any longer. Can Thalli become useful enough not to be annihilated? Is Berk her reality or simulation? Does he really have (forbidden) feelings for her? What is up on the surface?

At the end of this book, I was in shock. It was certainly a surprise ending and I definitely want to read Luminary to find out what happens next. Anomaly was a little confusing at times when reality was questioned, but overall the twists and turns of Thalli’s journey kept me guessing throughout. I would recommend Anomaly to readers that don’t mind some Christian mixed with dystopian as it was well worth reading.

4 SURPRISING HEARTS

4 SURPRISING HEARTS

40ac6-addtogoodreads blkslogo hearts

About the Author

Krista writes for teens, teaches teens, and more often than not, acts like a teen. She and her family have lived and ministered in Texas, Costa Rica, and Spain. Her current hometown is Tampa, FL.

~ courtesy of Amazon