TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

Book Review of Branded by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki

Branded-tour banner
Today is my stop on this fabulous tour for Branded (Sinners #1). I absolutely loved this book, check it out below.

Branded (Sinners #1)

by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki
Released: 28th June 2013
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction Dystopian

Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best. Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home.

Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.

Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.

0a881-addtogoodreads blkslogo

hearts

My Review

Wow wee, what an exciting and intense book Branded is. I am totally addicted to this series and need book two right now! Branded was turn your stomach shocking and yet romantic. Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki are marvellous and their skills with luring the reader into the world of The Hole mind-blowing. Lexi, poor Lexi hasn’t had an easy life and it only seems to get worse until she meets Cole and his loveable adorable Great Dane, Zeus. There are so many elements that I couldn’t help but become addicted, what was going to happen next? Will Lexi survive? What will she have to endure next? Absolutely a must read!

After WW5 a commander became their new leader and revamped the judicial system creating classifications and THE HOLE. All criminals arrested are branded a different colour depending on their crime the sin. They are all taken to The Hole where they will remain until the end of their days, which usually isn’t very long considering the crime rate within.

Lexi Hamilton is an eighteen year old girl that has a horrible life. Her Father died when she was younger, her Mother remarried and her brother, Keegan ran away. Lexi has had to deal with her drug addicted Mother and a scary step-father. She is arrested, taken to The Hole and branded a sinner. Somebody accused Lexi and she is classified under the sin of LUST. Which is completely ridiculous, but there is no way for Lexi to proclaim her innocence. Life in The Hole isn’t pleasant to say the least, Lexi is given a job which is quite lucky on her part and she works daily at the hospital with Dr Sutton.

Cole and Zeus are her personal guards and it seems she will be stuck with them for a while. Cole uses his gut instinct and it says she is an innocent. His orders are to protect Lexi, to keep her alive at all costs. Lexi is attractive and has the most beautiful turquoise eyes that draw attention. Even walking into her living quarters is dangerous and she must be on her toes at every second.

There is rumour of a rebellion within The Hole and Wilson (the 2IC) is determined to find and terminate all those involved.

Working at the hospital gives Lexi something to focus on and her first patient is a thirteen year old girl, Alyssa. Lexi and Alyssa quickly become best friends and Lexi is determined to make Alyssa’s life as comfortable as possible.

Lexi seems to find trouble at every turn and Zeus with Coles help are able to find Lexi when she needs help. But will they be found out for their romantic involvement (which is illegal)? Can Lexi stay out of trouble and be safe? What really happened for Lexi to be sent to The Hole? Who belongs to the rebellion? Will Lexi ever see her brother again?

Zeus would have to be my favourite character, followed by Bruno (another guard). Their quirkiness and fabulous anecdotes keep some fun into the sadness of Lexi’s life. The Hole is definitely accurately named in physical appearance as well as in context. The unique world along with the characters are a sure hit and I definitely need more. I highly recommend Branded to all mature young adult readers.

5 UNPREDICTABLE HEARTS

5 UNPREDICTABLE HEARTS

hearts

About the Authors

Abi and Missy met in the summer of 1999 at college orientation and have been best friends ever since. After college, they added jobs, husbands and kids to their lives, but they still found time for their friendship. Instead of hanging out on weekends, they went to dinner once a month and reviewed books. What started out as an enjoyable hobby has now become an incredible adventure.

~ Website ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Tumblr ~ Pinterest ~