TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

5* Book Review of Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken

Summary: Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children’s League call Ruby “Leader”, but she knows what she really is: a monster.

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children’s League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America’s children—and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts—has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future—and who now wouldn’t recognize her.

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam—and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart—she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?

Title: Never Fade
Series: The Darkest Minds #2
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Released: 15th October 2013
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction Dystopia
Format: eGalley and Paperback
Source: Via Publisher on NetGalley and via Publisher from The Reading Room

Wholly Moly, what an ending! I am speechless, this is such a fantastic series and Alexandra Bracken has created such a unique world with characters so lovable that you just can’t help but fall in love with them. Ruby, poor poor Ruby. This poor teenager that has so much responsibly and guilt in her soul. I feel so terribly protective of Ruby, but loved seeing her grow in strength and power in Never Fade.

Ruby is an orange, a rare colour on the ability scale with red being the highest and most dangerous. When people find out what Ruby’s colour is, they stay far away from her. Ruby joined the Children’s League, an organisation that is supposed to help children with abilities and rescue them from camps.

Ruby’s ability is to reach into a person’s mind. She can see their memories and even erase or create false ones. Ruby can only do this by touching the person she is trying to read. The Children’s League are using Ruby to discover information from rogue agents or enemies and she isn’t really comfortable about that, but she also goes on missions to help retrieve information or rescue missions.

Ruby is discovering evidence that proves some agents are targeting kids and terminating them. She is frightened for her friends and team members and is not sure what she can possibly do about it. Until Cole reveals some information and asks her help to find his brother, Liam. Ruby is worried about Liam and is very eager to find him too; not only to get the valuable flash drive, but to make sure he is ok.

After she left him for the Children’s League, Ruby has felt nothing but guilt over what she had done to keep him safe. The next mission she is called up for, Ruby plans to run and the only problem is when Jude is also included in the mission. Jude is one of the youngest in her team and the most fragile. Ruby is worried but will have to take him with her in case he is the next target.

The journey begins. Ruby is on the run once again, trying to stay out of the authorities sights and get to the location she thinks Liam will be. It’s a slow process and with dangers along the way, they end up having Vida joining them and finding Chubs (Charles) along the way. Although, finding Liam isn’t easy; they stumble upon a rogue camp that only accepts blues. Ruby tries to hide her orange status and the fight begins.

Will the motley crew be able to complete their mission? What will happen once they find Liam, the flash drive and the all-important intelligence on it? Will Liam remember Ruby? Will Ruby go back to the Children’s League?

Never Fade is completely full to the brim with action, betrayal, love, mystery and power. I was crying at the end with all the horribleness and couldn’t believe that poor Ruby can survive, but she is a fighter and a leader and will continue on. I certainly cannot wait to read book three, due out Fall 2014.

5 RUBY HEARTS

5 RUBY HEARTS

0fda7-addtogoodreads
hearts

About the Author

I was born in Phoenix, Arizona and spent all of my life there up until college–I miss it all of the time, but primarily when I’m forced to deal with ice/snow/mass transit/or some combination of the three.  I’m a middle child, which supposedly means I’m full of angsty feelings of neglect, but, in reality, it just means I’m always sandwiched between my older sister and younger brother in Christmas pictures.  On a whole, I had a pretty typical childhood, with only one big exception: my dad is a big time Star Wars collector, which means I went to more antique shows, toy stores, and Star Wars conventions then you could ever imagine! No, really, I’m up to six conventions. I will now pause to let that soak in…

I recently graduated with a degree in History and English from The College of William & Mary in Virginia. (Four years in Colonial Williamsburg is enough to give anyone a sense of humor about life, trust me.) I began writing Brightly Woven there during my sophomore year as a birthday present to my dearest, darlingest friend Carlin… and finished six months AFTER that date. The number one question I get asked is how I wrote a novel while I was still in school. There are two answers to this: sacrificing a social life and a depressingly effective will to see even the most futile projects through.  I signed with my agent on my 21st birthday, and sold it later that year.  I spent a good portion of my senior year buried under edits, and the rest of that year trying to figure out what else I was going to do with my life.

After graduating, I left my colonial bonnets behind and moved to New York City, where I attended the Columbia Publishing Course. I am now happily situated on the other side of the publishing industry, working in children’s book marketing. That’s all to say that you should come up and say hi if you see me at a conference–I’ll even recommend a few good books for you!

~ courtesy of Alexandra Bracken's website