TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

5* Book Review of The Boys of Summer by C.J. Duggan

Summary: It seemed only natural to nickname them the ‘Onslow Boys’. Every time they swaggered in the front door of the Onslow Hotel after a hard week’s work, their laughter was loud and genuine as they settled onto their bar stools. I peeked through the restaurant partition, a flimsy divider between my world and theirs. I couldn’t help but smile whenever I saw them, saw him ... Toby Morrison.

Quiet seventeen-year-old Tess doesn’t relish the thought of a summertime job. She wants nothing more than to forget the past haunts of high school and have fun with her best friends before the dreaded Year Twelve begins.

To Tess, summer is when everything happens: riding bikes down to the lake, watching the fireworks at the Onslow Show and water bomb fights at the sweltering Sunday markets.

How did she let her friends talk her into working?

After first-shift disasters, rude, wealthy tourists and a taunting ex-boyfriend, Tess is convinced nothing good can come of working her summer away. However, Tess finds unlikely allies in a group of locals dubbed ‘The Onslow Boys’, who are old enough to drive cars, drink beer and not worry about curfews. Tess’s summer of working expands her world with a series of first times with new friends, forbidden love and heartbreaking chaos.

All with the one boy she has never been able to forget.

It will be a summer she will always remember.

Warning: sexual references, and occasional coarse language.

Title: The Boys of Summer
Series: Summer #1
Author: C.J. Duggan
Publisher: Self Published
Released: 17th December 2012
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eBook
Source: My iBooks Library

Ok, so I’m addicted to this series severely. This is number two for me and another fantastic instalment. I did things a little backwards and read That One Summer before this one, but it doesn’t matter at all. The way C.J. Duggan has written her fabulous series, you can pick up any book in whatever order you like without reading previous books.

I love the Onslow gang and this book is where it all begins; where the name, Onslow Boys came from. The Boys of Summer is about Tess McGee and Toby Morrison.

Tess McGee has had a crush on Toby Morrison since she was 13 years old. The older she gets the stronger the crush, he is getting hotter and hotter. Tess is now 17 and in Grade 11 at school, but is being bullied by her ex, Scott Miller.

Tess is talked into working at the hotel over the summer with her best friends, Ellie and Adam. She’s not really looking forward to it because it is so far out of her comfort zone, but when Adam injures himself, Tess has no choice. Hopefully it will bring out her confidence and fun.

Wearing the cute uniforms around the pub, the girls get noticed quickly by the Onslow Boys and the more they see the boys, the more they seem to be joining the gang. Toby is a part of the gang and whenever Tess sees him she is excited, but disappointed to see him with his girlfriend.

The more time they do spend around each other the more obvious their feelings are known. Toby is giving mixed signals and Tess doesn't know whether she is coming or going in his heart.  With a bunch of misunderstandings and miscommunications, can this pair finally get their act together?

With Toby leaving town for work, can Tess convince him to stay? Can Tess apologise enough to the mishap for Toby to forgive her? What is the true story behind the rumours Scott is spreading?

Enjoy the journey of self-discovery for Tess as she changes from the wallflower to the blossoming rose. Discovering that she is a beautiful teenager and growing her self-worth; believing in herself and pulling up her big girl panties. Laugh out loud to the pranks Adam plays and revenge on Scott Miller. With typical teenage crushes and summer fun, this series is a must read for all and I highly recommend it to all romance readers.
5  HOT SUMMER HEARTS

5 HOT SUMMER HEARTS
d14a4-addtogoodreads
hearts

Other books in the series:

You can PRE-ORDER FOREVER SUMMER HERE.

hearts

About the Author

cj dugganC.J Duggan is a Number One Best Selling Australian Author who lives with her husband in a rural border town of New South Wales, Australia. When she isn’t writing books about swoony boys and 90’s pop culture you will find her renovating her hundred-year-old Victorian homestead or annoying her local travel agent for a quote to escape the chaos.

The Boys of Summer is Book One in her highly successful Mature Young Adult Romance Series.

Website Goodreads Twitter Facebook ~Street Team ~