TurnersAntics

Turner's Antics

Day in the life of a Mum with 3 kids and loves to read! With my many gadgets.

4* Book Review of Outback Blaze by Rachael Johns

Summary: Ruby wasn't looking for love, Drew wasn't looking to stay...until they found each other. Can their fling survive the darkness of Ruby's past and Drew's desire to move on?

Ruby Jones was always an optimist, but the trauma of her past had made her wary. So when she flees to the small rural community of Bunyip Bay to start afresh, she has her sights firmly set on establishing her horse-riding business and rebuilding her life. The last thing Ruby wants is a romance. In fact, after all she has been through, she can't imagine she will ever believe in love again.

Police officer Drew Noble has no intention of staying in Bunyip Bay — he is just an outsider seeking temporary refuge. But as the charm of the town sways him, Drew finds himself increasingly drawn to the community and its inhabitants, as well as another newcomer, the lovely Ruby Jones.

When Drew investigates a suspicious fire at Ruby's parents' business, he finds himself feeling strangely protective of the girl with the flowers in her hair. As the details of Ruby's past emerge and she comes once more under threat, Drew realises he will do all in his power to save her.

Soon these outsiders discover they have both lost their hearts — not only to the town but to each other.

outback blazeTitle: Outback Blaze
Series: Bunyip Bay #2
Author: Rachael Johns
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Released: 1st May 2014
Genre: Rural Australian Contemporary Romance
Format: Paperback
Source: sent for an honest review by Publisher - thank you Polina.

I thoroughly enjoyed Outback Dreams and couldn’t wait to read Outback Blaze. I love the idea behind Rachael Johns’ premise. It was great to see where her idea came from for the fire. To be honest I didn’t love this on as much as the first, but I am really excited about reading Outback Ghost. Throughout books one and two, the ghost is present and the mystery behind the ghost is mentioned in book one, but I want to read Adam’s story; the loveable and sweet hottie has to find true love.

Ruby Jones, twenty-seven has returned home and living with her parents again. There is a mystery as to what happened with her fiancé, but they let Ruby have her peace. Ruby is an organising freak and has agreed to organise the local Undies Run for charity. The first stage is promotion, Ruby together with her friend Simone are arranging a photo-shoot with some of the hot runners to get more interest and of course they’re in their undies.

Simone sets the stage and Ruby gets the guys. Adam, Ryan, Liam and Drew have arrived, but it appears Drew, the UK police officer has turned modest, since he was volunteered to participate in the first place. So it’s just the other men and the ladies certainly don’t complain about the three muscled locals.

When the shoot was over, smoke wafts through the town and everyone heads out to see what’s happening. There’s a raging fire in the Ag shop, Ruby’s parents shop. Ruby rushes out and her parents arrive at the same time. They are all devastated, all they can do is watch the volunteer firefighters try their hardest to salvage what they can. The whole town has come out to watch the spectacle.

Drew talks to Ruby and questions are going around about who would have burned down the Ag store. Nobody has a grudge against the Jones, they are an integral part of the community. Ruby’s parents are acting very strange lately too, her father seems very attentive towards her mother and something just isn’t right. What secret are they hiding?

Ruby isn’t looking for a relationship, after everything she’s gone through in the past twelve months, she is trying to focus on her horse-riding business. But when she keeps running into Drew Noble, her attraction towards him cannot be ignored for much longer.

Drew has his own secrets and is determined to keep them that way. Drew isn’t getting along very well with his Sergeant and the investigation on the fire. Drew knows that the answers aren’t right and is resolved to find the truth for Ruby.

Will Drew and Ruby give in to desire? Can Drew find the true arsonists? What is his secret? What happened to Ruby twelve months ago? What is going on with Ruby’s parents?

Outback Blaze is a fun read with the antics of Simone and the Undies Run. I didn’t find this one as addictive as Outback Dreams, but it was definitely entertaining and intriguing. With the secrets of both characters, I was drawn to find out what happened and if they would get together. I highly recommend this series to all romance readers.
4 FUN and INTRIGUING HEARTS

4 FUN and INTRIGUING HEARTS

hearts

Other books in the series:

Please check out my review HERE of Outback Dreams. Outback Ghost is due for release on 1st October 2014.

hearts

About the Author

rachael johnsI'm an English teacher by trade (please don't hold that against me), a mum 24/7, a supermarket owner by day, a chronic arachnophobic, and a writer by night. I rarely sleep. I live in rural Western Australia with my hyperactive husband and three mostly-gorgeous heroes-in-training.

I've been writing since I was 17 when I broke up with my first boyfriend (at the time I thought he was The One and was hugely devastated in the fashion of all 17 years olds). For some reason unbeknownst to me, I turned to writing as a form of therapy for my broken heart. It was enlightening to realise that with writing I could create whatever ending I liked. I wrote the story of me and The One and actually ended up killing him off. The writing was therapeutic, the story was cringe-worthy but I had caught the bug.

Almost a decade later, after many, many attempts at writing different types of novels, I joined Romance Writers of Australia. Finally I learnt there was more to writing a book than just typing out random thoughts - I learnt about craft, conflict, consistent characters, etc - and I also learnt that I LOVED contemporary romance and that was what I wanted to write. I'm super happy to be writing sassy, urban romances for Carina Press and small-town romance for Mira Australia.

I hope that if you decide to try one of my books - about pretty normal people creating pretty amazing happy ever afters - that you enjoy it and pine a little when it ends :-)

harlequin